Making your own backyard bird feeders are easy and fun to make! The shapes your BIRD FEEDERS can be are endless. I want to show my kids nature by nurturing the nature we already have in our back yards. These DIY BIRD FEEDERS are great for toddlers and older kids as well!
Bird Feeders | DIY with Kids!
- Cookie Cutters
- String or Yarn
- Cooking Spray
- 2 packages of Non-Flavored Gelatin
- Bird Seed
- 3 cups water
- Wax Paper
- Cookie Sheet
- Room in your freezer!
As your gathering supplies for your bird feeders you can put your kids to tasks! If your kids are old enough to use scissors you can begin by having them cut out your string or yarn about 4 inches long. These will become your bird feeder hangers.
Bird Feeders | DIY with Kids Instructions
- Sprinkle two packages of gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Let it sit a couple of minutes until gelatin has absorbed the water. Heat 1 3/4 cups water in a pan, then add in the gelatin mixture. Stir until dissolved. Stir in 3 cups birdseed. *Make sure your bird seed is completely covered with gelatin.
- Spray your cookie cutters and molds with the cooking spray.
- After placing the wax paper on your cookie sheets you can lay down your cookie cutters and begin filling in with seeds. Press it tightly in so they don’t become crumbly once done!
- Press the remaining seeds into the molds.
- Squish the yarn you had your kids cut up to make hangers in each mold or cookie cutter.
- Place in the freezer for about an hour to speed up the time to harden.
We bought most of our molds over time at The Dollar Spot in Target! You can use any silicon mold you have on hand. These are great as gifts too, especially if your throwing a garden tea party! The kids love to hand these out in little terra cotta pots with a seed pack. Something to feed the birds and plant!